Biologic Dentistry for Safe Mercury Removal

Mercury Removal Williamsville, NY

Did you know that your “silver” fillings are made of something besides silver? They are actually made of up to 50% MERCURY! Mercury is a potent neurotoxin which is linked to many health problems. In addition to mercury, these amalgam fillings are made of metal like silver, copper and nickel which many people have reactions and allergies to. Did you know that dentists in the USA still place these mercury fillings every day and that the FDA has stated that they are unsafe for people such as pregnant women, young children and people with neurological problems. Countries throughout the world have banned the use of these amalgam fillings completely because of the known toxicity of mercury.

Looking into your Mercury Removal options? While mercury was commonly used as part of dental filling material, it is now known that there is no safe level of mercury exposure, and the process of removal is very important. In fact, it is the most dangerous to be exposed to the mercury vapor when the dentist drills out the old fillings. Does your dentist take the proper precautions to protect you from mercury when they drill your teeth? If they aren’t certified in the S.M.A.R.T. protocol you may be exposed to mercury vapor if your fillings are removed without this very specific method of protection.

How Biologic dentists safely remove mercury

Biologic removal allows for mercury-based amalgam dental fillings to be removed in a safe manner, and a biologic dentist will use the strictest of protocols. Such precautions include using skin protection, air filters, cutting methods that do not heat up the mercury and oxygen for the patient to breathe so they do not inhale any mercury vapors. According to the International Academy of Oral Medicine & Toxicology and recently disclosed by the FDA, the use of mercury in dental amalgam fillings poses serious risks to human health, as mercury accumulates in the body, and any amount of mercury taken into the body should be considered hazardous.

The S.M.A.R.T. technique

The S.M.A.R.T. technique is a safe way to remove mercury, which is why biologic dentists can choose to use this removal procedure. Choosing another type of dentist often means that one will undergo unsafe mercury removal methods, as many dentists remove mercury with heat. Using heat makes the mercury turn into a vapor, and when this vapor is inhaled, it will be absorbed by the lungs. This absorption can lead to one experiencing a variety of negative effects, including but not limited to body tremors, mood swings and general irritability.

Mercury in its vaporized state can cause problems with one’s nervous, immune and digestive systems. This includes damaging the lungs and the kidneys. If vaporized mercury comes into contact with one’s skin or eyes, it can cause minor to major irritations to the skin and the eyes, e.g., rashes, dermatitis, etc. It is possible for a dental patient to experience mercury poisoning when exposed to high amounts of mercury vapor, making it ideal to choose a safe removal mercury option.

Signs of mercury poisoning

When large amounts of mercury are inhaled, the vapors are quickly absorbed into one’s bloodstream, which means the mercury is going to affect one’s organs, as well as their brain. Signs that one may have experienced mercury poisoning include an overall feeling of pins and needles throughout one’s body, an overall lack of body coordination, muscle weakness taking place anywhere within the body, the inability to talk properly, insomnia, twitching and a metallic taste in one’s mouth.

Symptoms and Early Signs

Mercury may affect the nervous system, leading to neurological problems:

  • Nervousness, irrtiability and personality changes
  • Numbness in the extremeties
  • memory problems and difficulty with concentration also known as brain fog
  • depression and or anxiety
  • physical tremors and signs of parkinsons disease
  • Skin rashes, eczema and psoriasis
  • Nausea and vomiting

As the levels of mercury in the body rise, more symptoms may be seen. The problems may vary based upon the person’s age and exposure levels. People who have been exposed may show symptoms like:

  • weakness in the muscles
  • mouth tasting like metal
  • gastrointestinal problems
  • clumsiness or feeling uncoordinated
  • inability to feel in the hands, face, or other areas
  • changes in vision, hearing such as ringing in the ears, or speech slurring
  • difficulty breathing
  • difficulty walking or standing straight because of loss of the motor skills

Mercury can also affect a child’s development from early exposure. Children with mercury poisoning may show signs such as:

  • impaired motor skills
  • problems thinking or problem-solving like difficulty concentrating
  • difficulties learning to speak properly
  • issues with hand-eye coordination and reflexes
  • being physically unaware of their surroundings

Mercury poisoning tends to develop slowly over time if a person comes into frequent contact with mercury. However, in some cases, mercury poisoning comes on quickly and is associated with a specific incident such as removal of a silver dental amalgam.

Long-term complications

Exposure to high levels of mercury may also put a person at risk for long-term complications, including:

Neurological damage

High levels of mercury in the blood could make a person at risk for developing long-term neurological damages. These problems may be more pronounced in children who are still growing.

A study in the Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health noted that many incidents of mercury poisoning have led to long-term nerve damage, which can cause:

  • intelligence disorders and low IQ
  • slow reflexes
  • damaged motor skills
  • paralysis
  • numbness
  • problems with memory and concentration
  • symptoms of dementia, and MS as well as Parkinson’s Disease type symptoms

Reproductive effects

Mercury poisoning also poses a risk to a persons reproductive ability. It may cause reduced sperm count and decreased fertility in addition mercury may also cause problems with the fetus as it is developing in utero.

Cardiovascular risks

Mercury helps promote the accumulation of free radicals in the body, which puts the cells at risk for damage. This may lead to an increased risk of heart problems, including heart attack and coronary heart disease.

If your dentist is not S.M.A.R.T. certified to remove your amalgam fillings safely to protect you, please call our office to learn about the protocol.

Got mercury fillings?

In need of mercury removal and want to be sure that the process is performed in a safe manner? Many people are likely living with mercury exposure due to their dental fillings. A biologic dentist is trained in removing mercury fillings safely, which makes it a good idea to contact this type of dental professional to schedule an appointment for mercury removal.

Are you considering mercury removal in the Williamsville area? Get more information at https://www.doctormccarthy.com.